Saturday, November 6, 2010

Daddy’s Rocket Launcher

After almost a year of watching Sandy and the boys make train layouts out of GeoTrax, I decided to try and build something myself. Since the boys enjoyed watching their trains coast down their two-story high mountain ramps, I wondered if I could build a ramp from the shelving top to the floor. The shelves are the equivalent of seven-stories high, so I had to build six piers to step the track down to floor level. The boys became very excited and barely allowed me to finish before they started ramp testing with their trains. What we quickly found was the grade was too steep and the trains were too light to ride the rails all the way down. Even with guardrails, the engines and their cars always derailed. This flaw was no less entertaining, and the boys loved every dramatic train wreck.

No comments: