Thursday, January 13, 2011

Potty Mouthing

The newness has worn off and given way to routine. Using the potty has lost its appeal, and now it’s an inconvenience or so it seems. Over the last month or so, the boys have begun to backslide on their potty training progress. Accidents have become more common, and parental patience has been exhausted. Stern lectures have fallen on death ears, or so we thought. Today, Benji filled his underwear with an odorous product just minutes after refusing a bathroom opportunity. I left him waiting in the bathroom while I addressed his soiled briefs. On my return I could hear Davey also in the bathroom giving his brother grief. He was repeating almost word for word what I had said to him the previous evening for the same offence. “Bad boy. Big boys use the potty Benji, babies use their pants. Bad boy!” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

No comments: